Online Banking

Uncategorised

  • Guyana's economy grew in the double digits in 2025 for the sixth year in ​a row, expanding 19.3% even as growth in oil production and ‌exports was lower than in prior years, Finance Minister Ashni Singh said on Monday when presenting the nation's annual budget.
  • The oil sector expanded 21% in 2025 compared to the 57.7% growth a year prior, while the non-oil sector grew 14.3%, driven mainly ‌by agriculture, mining, construction and the services industry, Singh said.
  • Crude output throughout 2025 totaled 261.1Mn barrels, up from 225.4Mn produced in 2024, as a consortium led by ExxonMobil started operations on its fourth oil project in the country ⁠in August. All of Guyana's oil production is controlled by the Exxon-led group. Guyana exported ‍260 cargos of crude oil in 2025, Singh said, with 32 cargoes of them shipped by ‌the ‌government from its share of oil produced by the Exxon group. A cargo of crude oil contains approximately one million barrels.
  • Oil is expected to remain a key driver of economic growth in 2026, as production from Guyana’s fifth offshore project ⁠is due to ⁠start later this ​year. Exxon raised Guyana's oil production capacity to more than 900,000 barrels per day (bpd) last year, and a new project set to be developed this year aims to further raise production to ‍up to 1.15Mn bpd.
  • The government is expected to maintain an infrastructure-heavy budget stance, deploying oil revenues to support its goals of building 40,000 homes over five years and expanding road ​networks across the country.
  • Guyana is Latin America's newest ‍oil producer and in recent years has become the region's fifth-largest crude exporter after Brazil, Mexico, ​Venezuela and Colombia.

(Source: Reuters)

 

  • The Ministry of Natural Resources announced on Wednesday that ExxonMobil Guyana Limited (EMGL) has officially relinquished 20 per cent of the Stabroek Block.
  • ‘Relinquishment,’ outlined in the 2016 Production Sharing Agreement (PSA), refers to the giving up of sections of a block by a contractor after a stipulated amount of time has elapsed and no commercial discoveries have been made.
  • “The Stabroek block has been the site of multiple significant discoveries, which are now undergoing evaluation and appraisal to determine their commercial potential,” the ministry explained. Notably, the relinquished portion is composed of various sections of the entire block and isn’t located in a single area.
  • The ministry reaffirmed its commitment to ensuring that the petroleum sector is properly managed by legal provisions and in the most prudent manner for the benefit of all Guyanese. The press release says that the Ministry of Natural Resources and the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission will “continue to work diligently to ensure that all petroleum operations executed by EMGL and its partners are conducted in keeping with the requirements of the [Petroleum Activities Act], the Stabroek Block Petroleum Agreement, and…international best practices.”
  • To date, more than 50 oil discoveries have been made in Guyana’s waters, with 46 of them being found in the Stabroek Block alone. There are currently six sanctioned projects. Three of them combined are producing approximately 600,000 barrels of oil per day. A fourth is scheduled for startup in August of this year.

(Source: Newsroom Guyana)

  • The Bank of England is taking very seriously the risk to economic growth from the upheaval in global trade, Governor Andrew Bailey said on Wednesday, two weeks before the BoE's next interest rate decision and its latest economic forecasts.
  • Bailey, speaking on the sidelines of the International Monetary Fund's spring meetings that have been dominated by U.S. President Donald Trump's trade tariffs, said Britain stood to be hit by the global disruption as an open economy. Bailey pointed to the IMF's sharp downgrade of its forecasts for economic growth in 2025, both globally and in the UK.
  • Investors on Wednesday assigned a 100% probability to the BoE cutting rates by a quarter of a percentage point on May 8 after the next scheduled Monetary Policy Committee meeting.

(Source: Reuters)

  • The government is exploring options to make Barbados more competitive in the sale of luxury goods, as part of its wider economic and tourism strategy, according to Prime Minister Mia Mottley.
  • The PM has invited the Barbados Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BCCI) to submit recommendations on how to reposition the island as a destination for high-end shopping. “I’ve invited the private sector—the Chamber of Commerce specifically—to submit to me a paper with respect to luxury goods again,” the Prime Minister said during her address at the opening of the Courts Superstore at W Plaza, Welches, on Thursday.
  • “Barbados did lose some competitiveness with respect to the sale of luxury goods in this country. It is part and parcel of our tourism brand and part of our value proposition, and we need to claim it back.”
  • Mottley did not outline any specific measures under consideration but said the matter was being actively reviewed as part of the government’s ongoing efforts to strengthen the island’s retail and investment climate.
  • The Prime Minister’s remarks come amid increased focus on improving customer service and upgrading commercial infrastructure in key retail zones. She said developments such as the new Courts Superstore were important to improving the overall consumer experience but also signalled the administration’s intention to support both mass market and niche retail offerings.
  • Officials within the business community have previously called for a review of import duties and taxes that affect the sale of high-end items, arguing that they have contributed to a decline in Barbados’ appeal to luxury shoppers.

(Source: Barbados Today)